Revision Date: September 2010
Hay Point Range: N/A
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
The physical Plant Department is responsible for the entire physical plant of the University including construction, renovations, provision of utility services and the care and maintenance of all properties.
Under general supervision, the Electrician is responsible for the installation, maintenance and repair of electrical systems, equipment and appliances.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Installs main service distributions of all types for: lighting, electrical heating, motor control centres and power loads, etc.
· Installs electrical equipment for: food services, computer service, duplicating service, laboratories, buzzer and intercom systems, etc.
· Makes renovations and additions to building wiring systems for increased lighting and power demands.
· Installs wiring for air conditioning and heating systems.
· Installs and repairs electric heating for water supply systems where freezing is a factor.
· Services wiring on gas and oil-fired steam boilers.
· Services wiring of motors and related controls.
· Diamond drills holes where required for all trades and Information Services and Technology installations.
· Checks and repairs fire alarm, master clock, motor generator stand-by and automatic transfer and switching systems.
· Makes minor repairs and replacements of main (high voltage) distribution transformers.
· Repairs all lighting fixtures (indoor and outdoor), lighting controls, timers, dimmers and remote control systems.
· Maintains high voltage transformer vaults.
· Repairs motor control centres and motor controls for all types of equipment.
· Repairs small appliances (i.e. building cleaning equipment, etc.).
· VSD installations and maintenance.
· Installation of Cat 6 cabling and fibre optic.
· Estimates costs of new installations and repairs.
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
The minimum qualifications necessary for acceptable (satisfactory) job performance are:
Level of Formal Education
· Education to an acceptable level.
· Must possess a valid HC License of Qualification as a Journeyperson Electrician issued by the Manitoba Department of Labour.
· Must hold a valid Class 5 Manitoba Driver’s License.
· At least five years of Journeyperson related experience.
· Solid knowledge base of training in electrical codes, specifications and blueprint reading.
Skills and Abilities
· Ability to work with others.
· Proven electrical/mechanical ability.
· Capable of operating safely a variety of hand tools.
· Capable of following and executing instructions.
· Must be self motivated, reliable, dependable, conscientious, and take pride in quality workmanship.
· Strong professional work ethic.
· Excellent customer service relations.
· Capable of performing the duties as assigned.
This class specification is intended to illustrate the characteristics of this classification level and should not be interpreted as a description of any one individual position within this classification level.
“In accordance with the University’s Health and Safety Policy, and in support of the Workplace Safety and Health Act, Physical Plant is committed to providing a safe and healthy working environment for all staff and students.
Physical Plant will instruct all employees to complete an Orientation Workshop, normally during the first day on the job, and the Health and Safety Orientation Module, normally during the probation period. Employees will also be instructed to complete various workshops, such as Asbestos Awareness, etc. during the first year of employment depending upon an individual’s classification.