Revision Date: October 2001
Hay Point Range: N/A
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
Food Service prepares and provides food and food services for the University of Manitoba.
The Baker, under general supervision, is normally in charge of a shift within a medium or large food service area.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares breads and all yeast raised products, muffins, pastries, puff pastries, biscuits, cakes, pies, puddings, sauces, tarts, desserts and special party items.
- Mixes all bakeshop formulas and/or recipes according to standards.
- Prepares food for special catering.
- Assists with cleaning of bakeshop area, equipment, tables and storage.
- Responsible for bakeshop operation in absence of Lead Baker including planning and baking plus supervises, instructs and gives on-the-job training to subordinate staff and keeps related records.
- Requisitions products and supplies from Stores.
- Portions and cuts all products baked.
- Assists in moving supplies to and from baker's and storage areas.
- Assists Lead Baker with inventory.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The minimum qualifications necessary for acceptable (satisfactory) job performance are:
Level of Formal Education
- Successful completion of high school.
- Completion of a recognized course(s) in baking methods and dessert preparation required.
- Five years of directly related experience including two to three years baking for a large operation.
- Must have thorough knowledge of the methods of preparing breads and all yeast raised products, muffins, pastries, puff pastries, biscuits, cakes, pies, puddings, sauces, tarts, desserts and special party items.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to plan and coordinate activities to meet meal and delivery schedules.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions and adjust formulas and/or recipes for preparation of required amounts of food.
- Knowledge of the operation of the equipment in use.
- Ability to prepare good quality food products.
- Must present a clean and tidy appearance and follow all Health Department regulations concerning hair and dress.
- Must have a medical examination upon request.
- Capable of performing the duties as assigned.
- Some heavy lifting required, up to 50 kg.
This class specification is intended to illustrate the characteristics of this classification level and should not be interpreted as a description of any one individual position within this classification level.
"In accordance with the University's Health and Safety Policy, and in support of the Workplace Safety and Health Act, Physical Plant is committed to providing a safe and healthy working environment for all staff and students.
Physical Plant will instruct all employees to complete an Orientation Workshop, normally during the first day on the job, and the Health and Safety Orientation Module, normally during the probation period. Employees will also be instructed to complete various workshops, such as Asbestos Awareness, etc. during the first year of employment depending upon an individual's classification."
Questions or Comments? Contact Jindra Vancura at (204) 474-8288