Revision Date: October 2001
Classification: Senior Plumber-Steamfitter
Hay Point Range: N/A
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
The Physical Plant Department is responsible for the entire physical plant of the University including construction, renovations, provision of utility services, and the care and maintenance of all properties.
Under general supervision, the Senior Plumber-Steamfitter assists in the allocation of work and material, and supervision and direction of staff, and also performs Plumber-Steamfitter work as required.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides asistance with the allocation of work and material.
- Provides assistance with the supervision and direction of Plumbing Shop staff.
- Estimates time and material requirements for new work, repairs and renovations.
- Lays out work on new projects.
- Directs Plumbing Shop staff in the proper plumbing and steam installations as required.
- Assists Plumbing Shop staff with any problems which may arise.
- Assists project coordinators with estimating and carpentry design problems.
- Performs all work expected of a fully qualified Plumber-Steamfitter - as required.
- During the absence of the Assistant Manager or Manager, the Senior fills in and performs the required duties for the efficient operation of the
- Plumbing Shop. Duties such as:
- Assigns daily work orders.
- Checks daily work time sheets.
- Checks on all staff as required.
- Deals with emergency items which may arise.
- Assists the Assistant Director of Trades when called upon.
- Purchases material as required to keep all jobs and maintenance work on schedule.
- Assists draftsmen and design staff when called upon.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The minimum qualifications necessary for acceptable (satisfactory) job performance are:
Level of Formal Education
- Education to an acceptable level.
- Must possess a valid Certificate of Qualification as a Journeyman (M/F) Plumber- Steamfitter or other appropriate certification issued by the Manitoba Department of Labour.
- Must possess a valid class "B" gasfitters certificate.
- Possession of Plumbing Contractor's licence is preferred.
- Must hold a valid Class 5 Manitoba Driver's License.
- Extensive knowledge of the plumbing profession; must have ten years of working experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to supervise and relate well with other staff members.
- Ability to maintain records.
- Proven ability to estimate time and material requirements.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with staff, students and contractors.
- Capable of performing the duties as assigned.
This class specification is intended to illustrate the characteristics of this classification level and should not be interpreted as a description of any one individual position within this classification level.
"In accordance with the University's Health and Safety Policy, and in support of the Workplace Safety and Health Act, Physical Plant is committed to providing a safe and healthy working environment for all staff and students.
Physical Plant will instruct all employees to complete an Orientation Workshop, normally during the first day on the job, and the Health and Safety Orientation Module, normally during the probation period. Employees will also be instructed to complete various workshops, such as Asbestos Awareness, etc. during the first year of employment depending upon an individual's classification."
Questions or Comments? Contact Jindra Vancura at (204) 474-8288