Revision Date: August 2010
Classification: Truck Driver’s Helper
Hay Point Range: N/A
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
The Physical Plant Department is responsible for the entire physical plant of the University including the construction, renovations, provision of utility services, and the care and maintenance of all properties.
Under general supervision, the Truck Driver’s Helper is responsible for assisting the truck driver or relieves the truck driver to pick up, deliver and transport various materials, commodities, refuse and paper for recycling throughout the Fort Garry Campus, to and from the Bannatyne Campus, as well as throughout the City of Winnipeg.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Assists Truck Driver with loading and unloading of cargo.
· Assists Garbage Truck Driver with the pickup, transportation and disposal of refuse and paper for recycling from all buildings on campus.
· Acts as a relief Truck Driver and performs the duties of a regular driver as required.
· Operates various delivery vans used by Truck Drivers as required.
· Operates a two-way radio if required.
· Records hours of work on work orders and daily time sheets.
· Performs other duties characteristic of the classification.
· Performs the duties of similar or lower level classifications for which the incumbent is qualified when required.
The minimum qualifications necessary for acceptable (satisfactory) job performance are:
Level of Formal Education
· Education to an acceptable level
· Valid Class 4 Manitoba driver’s license.
· Completion of a professional driving course is desirable.
· Acceptable related experience.
· Good driving record as demonstrated by a positive driver’s abstract.
· Some knowledge of, and location of, University buildings, campus layout and city pick-up routes.
· A good knowledge of the vehicles used for various truck routes.
· A good knowledge of and experience operating moving equipment (appliance movers, dollies, appliance straps, pallet jacks, etc.)
Skills and Abilities
· Good communication via a two-way radio.
· Must relate well with customers and others in the department.
· Effective communication skills in English required.
· Must have good organizational skills.
· Ability to follow oral and written instructions in English.
· Understand and be willing to participate in all safety programs and initiatives designed to ensure the well-being of all staff.
· Ability to obtain a University of Manitoba issued Transportation of Dangerous Goods certificate.
· Must be capable of performing the duties as assigned.
Questions or Comments? Contact Jindra Vancura at (204) 474-8288