Revision Date: October 2001
Classification: Labourer Groundskeeper
Hay Point Range: N/A
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
The Physical Plant Department is responsible for the entire physical plant of the University, including construction, renovations, provision of utility services, and the care and maintenance of all properties.
Under general supervision, the Labourer Groundskeeper is responsible for the general maintenance of grounds, roads, sidewalks and entrances; moving materials, deliveries, relieving and assisting other classifications, performing setups and operating assorted mobile and hand operated equipment.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Moves furniture, materials and equipment for University departments.
- Cuts and trims lawns, plants and waters flowers, fertilizes plants and lawns, maintains shrub beds, removes litter and performs other related grounds maintenance duties.
- Performs the duties of similar classifications such as Truck Driver, Truck Driver Helper, Tractor Operator 1 and Utility Caretaker as required.
- Performs setups for special events such as examinations, convocation and similar University and student events.
- Plants trees, shrubs, flowers; installs sod and performs other related landscaping duties.
- Operates hand mowers, string trimmers, snow blowers, pumps, compactors and other small engine powered equipment.
- Operates skid steer loaders, dump trucks, delivery vans, agricultural tractors, riding mowers and related implements as required.
- Clears snow and spreads traction grit at building entrances, sidewalks, stairways and platforms.
- Assists with annual fire extinguisher and fire hose maintenance checks.
- Assists with the coordination of Campus Beautification Day activities.
- Assists trades personnel as required.
- Cleans streets, curbs, drains and catch basins.
- Cleans and washes vehicles.
- Cleans mechanical rooms and tunnels.
- Records hours of work on work orders and daily time sheets.
- Operates a two-way radio as required.
- Performs other duties characteristic of the classification.
- The minimum qualifications necessary for acceptable (satisfactory) job performance are:
Level of Formal Education
- Education to an acceptable level; high school completion preferred.
- Valid Class IV driver's license with air brake endorsement.
- Current Transportation of Dangerous Good Certificate.
- Acceptable related experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Willingness to work out of doors summer and winter.
- Willingness to work varied schedules if required.
- Must be capable of performing the duties as assigned.
This class specification is intended to illustrate the characteristics of this classification level and should not be interpreted as a description of any one individual position within this classification level.