Revision Date: August 2005
Classification: Administrative Assistant 2
Hay Point Range: 332 – 382
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
Positions at this level provide responsible administrative assistance to a University program, section, department, faculty, school, administrative unit or area. Incumbents perform general administrative details in relation to the operation of a large and/or complex organizational unit or administration of a complex function within a unit which requires specialized knowledge and/or experience.
Under general direction, incumbents will exercise considerable initiative and independence in planning, coordinating and participating in the development of policies within the unit. The supervision of junior clerical, services or administrative staff may be a requirement of the position.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participates in the development and interprets department policies, procedures and regulations.
- Provides advice and assistance to other University departments and administrative units.
- Acts as liaison with other University departments, external institutions, agencies and the public by developing and maintaining effective working relationships. Participates in committees, both internally and externally.
- Supervises the activities of a group of employees engaged in a variety of tasks, including recommending appointments, terminations and promotions; training new staff; preparing schedules, assigning work and performance management.
- Develops and implements departmental systems and operating procedures; participates in planning departmental programs, often as a member of various committees.
- Coordinates preparation of departmental budget, including assisting in budgetary estimates. Maintains budget records, handles payroll and related departmental accounting duties.
- May be assigned the responsibility for the accounting of a designated section within the University.
- Prepares reports summarizing data and statistics relevant to the activities of an area.
- May represent the department on University committees.
- May be responsible for various activities within a complex unit, which may include maintenance and security of supplies and equipment, registration and examination routines, timetabling and space allocation.
- Undertakes special administrative projects and studies as required for the department.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
The minimum qualifications necessary for acceptable (satisfactory) job performance are:
Level of Formal Education
- Undergraduate degree in a related discipline.
- Knowledge of University regulations, programs and procedures as they relate to the function/program.
- Some positions require enrolment in final years of a recognized professional accounting program plus three years experience in an accounting related position where a knowledge of accounting theory and practice and a working knowledge of computer produced data has been acquired.
- Two years of directly-related administrative experience.
- An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered .
Skills and Abilities
See Administrative Assistant 1 Classification Specification.
Capable of performing the duties as assigned.
This class specification is intended to illustrate the characteristics of this classification level and should not be interpreted as a description of any one individual position within this classification level.