Revision Date: August 2005
Classification: Cashier 2
Hay Point Range: 154-184
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
An incumbent at this level is responsible for the issuing, receipt, control and safekeeping of funds on behalf of one or more university departments, and for maintaining the records relative to these duties. Responsibilities can include clerical/office assistance.
The incumbent will work independently under general supervision of the supervisor. Incumbents may be required to assist in the introductory training of employees hired at the same level or supervise and train employees at a junior level.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Issues, receipts, controls and keeps safe transaction funds using a point-of-sale system for customer purchases or an online receipt system for student fees and accounts receivable payments.
- Performs those duties of junior cashiers, as appropriate.
- Provides knowledgeable assistance to customers.
- Deposits daily revenue and obtain supply of change.
- Assists supervisor in disseminating product and promotional information, if appropriate.
- Supervises and trains junior employees.
- Prepares reports, as requested.
- In the absence of the supervisor and during peak periods, assists coworkers in resolving problems, accepts cheques up to an authorized dollar limit, authorizes void and refund corrections.
- Maintains a petty cash fund for the purpose of reimbursing units for expenses. Reconciles, balances and replenishes funds.
- Balances receipts to batch totals and prepares deposit forms.
- Assists students with deferrals; answers questions regarding the cash receipts process; makes follow-up calls and mails correspondence.
- Word processes correspondence.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
The minimum qualifications necessary for acceptable (satisfactory) job performance are:
Level of Formal Education
High school completion with job related options.
- Two years related experience, one year of which should be equivalent to the Cashier 1 level.
- Experience operating a computer using word processing and spreadsheets applications in an office environment.
- Experience performing basic clerical and/or bookkeeping duties.
- An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Skills and Abilities
- Must be bondable
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail and keep accurate records.
Capable of performing the duties as assigned.
This class specification is intended to illustrate the characteristics of this classification level and should not be interpreted as a description of any one individual position within this classification level.