Revision Date: August 2005
Classification: Technician 4
Hay Point Range: 268 – 328
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
Working under general supervision from a more senior technician, administrator or academic staff member, an incumbent independently carries out procedures and projects established in discussion with the supervisor or requestor. This includes responsibility for the operation and maintenance of specialized equipment at a highly skilled level. Incumbents are required to show initiative and sound judgement in organizing the work within an area of responsibility and to utilize a thorough understanding of scientific methods.
Incumbents perform advanced analyses involving the use of statistics, complex equipment or procedures, are responsible for the operation of a specialized laboratory, carry out a detailed and substantial testing program, or provide services and/or the production of goods for units and the University, using a wide variety of skills.
Supervision, training or the orientation of more junior employees is generally performed at this level.
Technical activities in positions at this level are of a general nature and widely applicable or of a specific nature and involve skills, techniques and equipment in relation to Fine Arts, Mechanical and Industrial Arts, or Research.
Incumbents are expected to perform any duties performed by Technician 1s - 3s as required to support the activities of the unit.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties and Responsibilities that apply generally are:
- Operates specialized equipment that requires theoretical and/or practical knowledge.
- Organizes, supervises and maintains workshops and/or student laboratories.
- Writes administrative and technical reports. On occasion contributes to publications.
- Prepares and analyses information, data and statistics.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities that involve Fine Arts include:
- Prepares drawings, illustrations, graphs, photographs, charts, signs, posters, diagrams and graphics for teaching, research, publication, community service after determining most appropriate medium, design, layout, colour scheme, etc., to best meet the client's needs and objectives.
- Prepares architectural and engineering working drawings to scale and standards required for design or tender purposes.
- Produces and duplicates audio and visual products using appropriate forms of media such as audio, film, sound‑slide or television and including creative and interpretive elements in the finished product and using a variety of cameras, lenses, lights, developing chemicals, etc.
Duties and Responsibilities that involve Mechanical and Industrial Arts include:
- Maintains and repairs general electronic equipment, office machines or automated equipment.
- Designs, fabricates, modifies, installs, calibrates, maintains and repairs specialized equipment through electronics, carpentry, precision machining and welding.
Duties and Responsibilities that involve Research include:
- Performs technical research at an advanced level, including experimental design and developing programs for computer analysis of results.
- Sets out greenhouse, nursery and field experiments, including selection of plot sites, preparation, seeding, maintenance and harvesting of crops.
- Performs specialized techniques such as: plaque tests, cultivation of tissue cell cultures and bacterial cultures, synthesis of compounds, UV and IR spectrophotometry.
- Performs specialized experiments on animals and assists with animal surgery.
The minimum qualifications necessary for acceptable (satisfactory) job performance are:
Level of Formal Education
- Masters degree in a related study area.
- or -
- Bachelors degree or completion of a Community College course in a related discipline with three years = directly-related experience.
- or -
- Training equivalent to journeyman (m/f) trade status (five years = related training).
An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Skills and Abilities
- Experience with job-related software such as Word/WordPerfect, Excel, Access and PowerPoint.
- Experience with statistical programs such as SPSS and SAS.
- Ability and willingness to learn new techniques and administer specific phases of projects.
- Must be able to work within time and budget constraints.
- Ability to keep abreast of developments in the areas of expertise is required.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team is essential.
- Ability to train and to supervise the work of staff and students.
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal, are essential.
- Good manual dexterity and eyesight required.
- No allergies to animals, plants or plant products or job‑related materials.
- Physically capable of performing the duties as assigned, which may include mobility and/or moderate to heavy lifting.
Other Job-related Qualifications
- Some positions require incumbent to possess philosophy compatible with animal-based research.
- Knowledge of WHMIS and radioactive/hazardous materials protocols and regulations.
This class specification is intended to illustrate the characteristics of this classification level and should not be interpreted as a description of any one individual position within this classification level.
Questions or Comments? Contact Jindra Vancura at (204) 474-8288