Revision Date: March 2006
Classification: Library Assistant 1
Hay Point Range : 112-142
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
This is the entry level for Library Assistants at which routine library/ clerical tasks of a repetitive nature are performed and interaction with the public is expected. Positions require the application of keyboarding skills and/or well- established procedures. Once training is completed, incumbents are expected to perform with general supervision. The supervision of other employees is not a requirement at this level; however, incumbents may be required to assist in the introductory training of new employees hired to positions at the same level and may direct the work of other library assistants at the same level working evenings and weekends. Some positions require evening and/or weekend shifts under variable supervision. These positions perform opening and closing procedures including locking library premises at the end of the shift. Incumbents are expected to perform any duties performed by Library Shelvers as required to support the activities of the unit.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties applicable to both public and technical services:
- Provides circulation services to borrowers, including automated and manual procedures.
- Answers routine telephone and counter inquiries, referring more complex queries to a senior staff member.
- Instructs library users in the basic use of equipment such as computers, microform reader, audiovisual equipment, photocopier, laser printer, fax machine, 3M self-check, scanner, etc. and performs routine servicing.
- Instructs library users in the basic use of the Integrated Library System.
- Deals tactfully with patrons stopped by security system, referring any cases of theft and/or vandalism to a senior staff member.
- Collects and may assist with the processing library materials for binding. May assist with basic in-house repair procedures.
- Performs processing and distribution of library materials.
- Collects, receives and sends materials for interlibrary or inter unit loans.
- Assists with data entry/retrieval using basic keyboarding skills.
- Accepts payments, credits borrowers' accounts and issues receipts for fines and services.
- Handles change float.
- Collects and records simple statistical information.
- Opens, sorts and distributes incoming mail and deliveries.
- Shelves, shelf reads and relocates collections as necessary.
- Serves on library committees as appointed or elected.
- Other related duties as assigned.
The minimum qualifications necessary for satisfactory job performance are:
Level of Formal Education/Training
- High school completion or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- A library technician's diploma would be an asset.
- Experience with automated systems is required.
- Experience with microcomputers is required.
- Previous library experience is preferred, but general office or experience serving the public would be an asset.
Skills and Abilities
- Positions require keyboard and basic word processing skills..
- Demonstrated ability to learn and apply automated and manual procedures is essential.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English and to accurately follow both written and verbal English direction is essential.
- Ability to work in harmony with others is required.
- Ability to show good judgement in effectively serving the needs of patrons is required.
- Ability to perform detailed tasks quickly and accurately is essential.
- Ability to work effectively in peak periods is required.
- Exposure to office routines and familiarity with office equipment are assets.
Must be physically capable of performing the duties as assigned, which may include moderate to heavy lifting of 2 kg to 10 kg, standing for long periods of time and exposure to dust.
Other Job-Related Qualifications:
- Availability to work evening and/or weekend shifts may be required.
- Satisfactory work record, including attendance and punctuality, is required.
- Knowledge of related subject area may be an asset.