Revision Date: August 2005
Classification: Administrative Assistant 5
Hay Point Range: 490 – 545
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
Administrative positions at this level may be distinguished from those of the lower level by the greater requirement of specialized knowledge combined with a high degree of administrative ability and organizational skill.
Incumbents receive administrative guidance but are expected to independently ensure the programs to which they are assigned are carried out to completion. In the day-to-day administration of their assigned area they are expected to assume a high degree of initiative in the supervision, training, and motivation of junior clerical, services, or administrative staff.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plans and formulates policy recommendations to superior regarding future staff requirements, systems and programs.
- Is responsible for independent coordination of the work programs of the area with the needs and requirements of the University and the community.
- Is responsible for keeping up-to-date on developments in the field of specialization and on University and government policies, practices and regulations as they may affect the operation of the area.
- Is responsible for staffing, budget and authorizing expenditures for the program to which assigned.
- Is responsible for directing and developing other employees assigned to the project including the allocation of work assignments, on-the-job training, performance management, recommending hiring, discipline and promotion.
- Is responsible for all public relations matters related to a program.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
The minimum qualifications necessary for acceptable (satisfactory) job performance are:
Level of Formal Education
- Undergraduate degree in a related discipline.
- Knowledge of University regulations, programs and procedures as they relate to the function/program.
- Five years of directly-related administrative experience.
- An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Skills and Abilities
- See Administrative Assistant 1 Classification Specification.
- Ability to make decisions and plan and control projects.
- Thorough knowledge of the procedures and techniques in the field of specialization.
Capable of performing the duties as assigned.
This class specification is intended to illustrate the characteristics of this classification level and should not be interpreted as a description of any one individual position within this classification level.
Questions or Comments? Contact Jindra Vancura at (204) 474-8288