Assistant Manager - Trades
Revision Date: August 2005
Classification: Assistant Manager - Trades
Hay Point Range: 369 - 449
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
The Physical Plant Department is responsible for the entire physical plant of the University including the construction, renovations, provision of utility services, and the care and maintenance of all properties.
This is a composite classification with levels dependent on the trade group. Incumbents are responsible for the supervision and management of all functions performed by the respective shops. Incumbents at this level are specifically responsible for the estimating, planning, obtaining materials, direction of staff for alteration projects, as well as planned maintenance. They are required to work independently, with general direction being available from the shop manager. The supervision, training and direction of employees at the journeyman trades level and semi-skilled trades helpers is a requirement of this classification. In the absence of the shop manager, the Maintenance Trades Foreman will act on his/her behalf.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Is responsible for the supervision, training and direction of trades staff within a specific area.
- Is responsible for the allocation of work to trades staff on a daily basis; coordinates
work of trades staff with other departments.
- Authorizes and allocates overtime in accordance with collective agreement provisions.
- Organizes staff vacation, ensuring maintenance of adequate coverage.
- Maintains record of employee absenteeism (e.g., sick leave, vacation, etc.).
- Assists in the hiring of staff members and has responsibility towards promotion, discipline, motivation, etc., of employees.
- Establishes and maintains safe operating principles for departmental employees. Keeps up-to-date on, and complies with, safety policies/regulations applicable to the workplace.
- Reviews design for new work and alterations projects; prepares estimates for required labour and materials.
- Checks and approves work orders and requests for repairs.
- Is responsible for a preventative maintenance program.
- Inspects all work done by trades staff within area of responsibility, in order to ensure that work is of acceptable quality. When necessary, provides technical direction to staff.
- Reviews work completed by external contractors to ensure that building specifications and government standards are adhered to.
- Contacts manufacturers and suppliers for materials and components.
- Is responsible for new construction work on a small scale (e.g., layouts, material, labour and scheduling).
- Orders supplies and equipment required by the department and maintains equipment.
- Keeps computerized records on time and materials, new work for internal and billing purposes.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
The minimum qualifications necessary for acceptable (satisfactory) job performance are:
Level of Formal Education
- Valid certificate of qualification as a Journeyman (MF) in the applicable trade or other appropriate certificate issued by the Manitoba Department of Labour or equivalent acceptable experience.
- Must hold a valid Class 5 Manitoba driver=s license.
- Five years of directly related supervisory experience, with direct knowledge of, and experience
with, the specific trades supervised.
- Experience coordinating, scheduling and allocating the work of others.
An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to keep current on changes in methods and equipment of the trades areas directly related to position assignment.
- Ability to read and interpret plans, specifications and blue prints.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, and to relate well with others.
- Ability to compile and maintain accurate computerized reports and records.
- Ability to work in crawlspaces, tunnels, and other confined spaces.
- Capable of performing the duties as assigned.
This class specification is intended to illustrate the characteristics of this classification level and should not be interpreted as a description of any one individual position within this classification level.