Revision Date: March 2006
Classification: Library Assistant 4
Hay Point Range : 230-275
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
Positions at this level require that the incumbent have significant prior experience working in a highly automated environment with the standards and requirements of one or more of the specialized areas within the Libraries. Interaction with the public is routine. Incumbents receive general supervision or direction and are expected to perform with considerable independence. An incumbent may also be required to assume responsibility for the efficient functioning of a unit/section. Some positions may require evening and/or weekend shifts, including responsibility for security of library premises. Incumbents may represent the Libraries with external companies in the execution of contracts. Incumbents are expected to perform any duties performed by Library Shelvers and Library Assistants 1, 2 or 3 as required to support the activities of the unit.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties primarily, but not exclusively, prevalent in public services are:
- Providing circulation services to borrowers, including all automated and manual procedures.
- Handles complex informational queries in area of specialization.
- Assists patrons and other departments in the use of library collections and facilities and may need to refer very complex and detailed queries to the librarian.
Duties primarily, but not exclusively, prevalent in technical services are:
- May be responsible for acquisition procedures; reports on the status of acquisitions, expedites receipt of outstanding library materials, including bookkeeping and providing statements and summaries of library accounts.
- Following established guidelines, catalogues and classifies library materials and performs complex bibliographic tasks.
Duties applicable to both public and technical services:
- Provides clerical/secretarial services, initiates correspondence, and may be responsible for maintaining staff records, payroll information and updating statistics.
- Prepares and updates promotional material.
- Assists with instruction and orientation sessions and tours.
- May assist in the updating and development of the unit library Web pages.
- At a level of considerable complexity and following established guidelines, maintains and updates online library records and catalogues.
- Deals tactfully with patrons stopped by security system, referring any cases of theft and/or vandalism to a senior staff member.
- May direct specific function(s) within a library unit/section.
- Recommends the acquisition of specifically designated types of library materials.
- Assists and advises other library assistants with problem solving in their own area of specialization.
- Solves complex problems related to the work of a unit or directed to it by another library unit/ section, referring unresolved problems to supervisor or librarian.
- Supervises unit/section in absence of supervisor or librarian.
- Serves on library committees as appointed or elected.
- Participates in maintaining the procedures manuals and other work tools within a unit/section.
- Working with academic librarians, assists in providing content and quality assessments of holdings.
- Provides general library assistance and/or other related duties as assigned.
The minimum qualifications necessary for satisfactory job performance are:
Level of Formal Education/Training Required
- A library technician's diploma or equivalent relevant library experience and/or training is required.
- A University education in a related field is required.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Experience with microcomputers and the Integrated Library System essential.
- Four years of related academic library experience and/or training, plus detailed knowledge of library procedures, records and bibliographic tools in areas for which the incumbent is responsible as well as a capacity for organizing are required.
Skills and Abilities
- Positions require keyboarding skills and some positions require advanced skills in word processing and various software.
- Demonstrated good judgment, a good general knowledge of library techniques and practices, and the ability to learn and apply automated and manual procedures is essential.
- Demonstrated ability to perform a variety of clerical and or basic bookkeeping duties is essential.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English and to accurately follow both written and verbal English direction is essential.
- Demonstrated ability to train and supervise the work of others is required.
- Demonstrated ability to work in harmony with others is required.
- Demonstrated good judgment in effectively serving the needs of patrons is required.
- Ability to perform detailed tasks quickly and accurately is essential.
- Ability to work effectively in peak periods is required.
Must be physically capable of performing the duties as assigned, which may include moderate to heavy lifting of 2 kg to 10 kg, standing for long periods of time and exposure to dust.
Other Job-Related Qualifications
- Knowledge of a language in addition to English is required by some positions.
- Knowledge of relevant subject areas is required.
- Satisfactory work record, including attendance and punctuality, is required.
Questions or Comments? Contact Jindra Vancura at (204) 474-8288