Revision Date: August 2005
Classification: Office Assistant 2
Hay Point Range: 127 – 152
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
This level of position provides office assistance through an acquired knowledge of routine procedures and/or skills. Incumbents are expected to perform basic secretarial/ reception/ clerical/ bookkeeping duties according to well established guidelines. For some positions knowledge and experience of introductory computing skills may be required. Incumbents may require initial close supervision during their training period. Once trained they are expected to perform under general supervision only. The supervision of others is not a requirement, however, incumbents may be required to assist in the introductory training of new employees at the same or junior level.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
In addition to any characteristic duties and responsibilities found in the junior office assistant class specifications, positions at this level may also:
- Demonstrates the ability to use word processing at an introductory level for correspondence, form letters, teaching, research, and administrative forms or material, etc. from copy or a dictaphone.
- May be trained in the use of the common functions of automated keyboard office equipment for information processing and retention.
- Acts as a receptionist and/or operator of a small switchboard for an area, receiving, screening and referring visitors and calls, taking messages and providing general information.
- Provides routine clerical duties which can include: booking rooms, maintaining files, distributing keys, allocating mail boxes, handling, recording, ordering and/or maintaining goods, stock, supplies, etc.
- Performs basic bookkeeping duties which could include: processing, checking and verifying/correcting and recording administrative forms (e.g. purchasing and payroll forms), reconciling statements, assessing fees, preparing financial accounts and bank deposits, controlling petty cash.
- Provides service to customers involving: displaying and selling merchandise, verifying inventory or special orders, accepting payments, operating a computerized cash register, preparing invoices and processing refunds.
- Orders and maintains an inventory of general office supplies, materials, etc.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
The minimum qualifications necessary for acceptable (satisfactory) job performance are:
Level of Formal Education
- Completion of a formal training program in a related discipline from a recognized institution plus one year of directly-related experience.
- Two years of directly-related experience.
An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience.
Skills and Abilities
In addition to the skills and abilities required in the junior office assistant class specifications, positions at this level may require:
- Ability to handle a variety of basic clerical and/or bookkeeping duties.
- Some positions require knowledge and experience at an introductory level of computer software applications (Windows/OS, word processing, spreadsheets, online calendar, email, and using a web browser).
- Some positions require experience in the use of a computerized cash register.
- Capable of performing the duties as assigned.
This class specification is intended to illustrate the characteristics of this classification level and should not be interpreted as a description of any one individual position within this classification level.
Note: Knowledge and experience of introductory applications:
- The candidate should be able to operate within the desktop environment, including file and folder management.
- Shall be able to accomplish introductory functions associated with creating, formatting, editing and saving a word processing document.
- Shall understand the introductory concepts of spreadsheets and be able to enter and update data.
- Demonstrate the ability to send and receive email, add attachments, and organize message
- Demonstrate the ability to use a web browser for online forms and introductory search tasks.
Questions or Comments? Contact Jindra Vancura at (204) 474-8288