Revision Date: March 2006
Classification: Library Assistant 2
Hay Point Range : 143-183
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
Positions at this level require the performance of a variety of library/clerical duties of moderate complexity in a highly automated environment, requiring some library experience and interaction with the public. Incumbents receive general supervision, but are expected to perform with some degree of independence. The supervision of other employees is not a requirement at this level, however, incumbents may be required to assist in the introductory training of new employees hired to positions at the same or lower level, and incumbents may direct the work of other library assistants working evenings and weekends. Some positions may require evening and/or weekend shifts under variable supervision. Employees in these positions perform opening and closing procedures, including locking the library premises at the end of a shift. Incumbents may deal with representatives of external companies with regard to routine responsibilities. Incumbents are expected to perform any duties performed by Library Shelvers and Library Assistants 1 as required to support the activities of the unit.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties primarily, but not exclusively, prevalent in public services are:
- Provides circulation services to borrowers, including all automated and manual procedures.
- Handles routine requests for assistance and answers basic informational questions, referring more complex queries to a senior staff member.
- Accepts payments, credits borrowers' accounts, processes refunds and issues receipts.
- Under the direction of the supervisor, balances monies received and makes deposits.
- May be responsible for balancing the change float.
Duties primarily, but not exclusively, prevalent in technical services are:
- Processes materials purchased for the Libraries’ collections; including ordering and receiving of monographs, serials and audio visual items.
- May adapt catalogue copy from other sources for materials received in the library.
Duties applicable to both public and technical services:
- Prepares and processes materials for binding.
- May perform minor mending.
- Instructs library users in the basic use of equipment such as computers, microform reader, audiovisual equipment, photocopier, laser printer, fax machine, 3M self-check, image scanner, etc. and performs routine servicing.
- Instructs library users in the basic use of the Integrated Library System (ILS).
- Processes materials for security detection. Deals tactfully with patrons stopped by the security system, referring any cases of theft and/or vandalism to a senior staff member.
- Performs basic clerical functions for a library unit.
- Some positions may search and verify bibliographic information under the direction of a senior staff member.
- Assists with data entry/retrieval, data updates and modification and sorting printouts.
- Handles requests for inter unit lending, interlibrary loans and other document delivery services.
- Under direction, performs moderately complex maintenance of library records, ordering, receiving, and processing library materials.
- Processes outgoing mail; sorts and distributes incoming mail.
- Processes and organizes reserve materials.
- Processes and organizes archival materials.
- Maintains and/or compiles statistics for a specific function in a library unit/section.
- Under the direction of a senior staff member, checks and verifies bibliographic information.
- May assist in organizing work of Library Assistant 1's and Shelvers.
- Shelves, shelf reads, relocates collections as necessary.
- Serves on library committees as appointed or elected.
- Other related duties as assigned.
The minimum qualifications necessary for satisfactory job performance are:
Level of Formal Education/Training
- High school completion or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- A library technician's diploma is preferred.
- Two years of related academic library experience and/or training is required.
- Working knowledge of library concepts and procedures, and a capacity for organizing are required.
- Experience with automated systems, including the ILS, is required.
- Experience with microcomputers is required.
- Exposure to office routines is an asset.
Skills and Abilities
- Positions require keyboarding and basic word processing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and apply automated and manual procedures is essential.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English and to accurately follow both written and
- verbal English direction is essential.
- Ability to handle a variety of clerical and/or basic bookkeeping duties is required.
- Ability to work in harmony with others is required.
- Demonstrated good judgment in effectively serving the needs of patrons is required.
- Ability to perform detailed tasks quickly and accurately is essential.
- Ability to work effectively in peak periods is required.
Must be physically capable of performing the duties as assigned, which may include moderate to heavy lifting of 2 kg to 10 kg, standing for long periods of time and exposure to dust.
Other Job-Related Qualifications
- Knowledge of a language in addition to English may be required by some positions.
- Availability to work evening and /or weekend shifts may be required.
- Satisfactory work record, including attendance and punctuality, is required.
- Knowledge of related subject area may be an asset.
Questions or Comments? Contact Jindra Vancura at (204) 474-8288