Revision Date: August 2005
Classification: Lab Assistant
Hay Point Range: 90 – 125
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
This is an introductory level of laboratory worker. Incumbents at this level work under close supervision from a laboratory steward, technician or academic staff member. Incumbents are normally required to clean and maintain a laboratory in an orderly condition, especially glassware. Supervision of other employees is not a requirement at this level; however, incumbents may be required to assist in the introductory training of new employees hired to positions of the same level.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Cleans and sterilizes laboratory glassware, utensils and equipment; performing acid cleaning if and when required.
- Operates autoclave, drying ovens, balances, pipettes as required.
- Prepares glassware for experiments following written instructions.
- Does general dusting and cleaning duties in a laboratory or equipment storage area.
- Handles lab coats for weekly laundry including keeping records of numbers sent and received.
- Collects materials and runs errands as required.
- Prepares and dispenses routine laboratory solutions and culture media following a prescribed formula or procedure.
- Is required to obtain knowledge of and comply with safety policies applicable to the workplace.
- Assists with preparation/sterilization of cell culture media.
- Autoclave, package and arrange for pick-up of biohazardous materials.
- Accept and sign for deliveries such as laboratory and office supplies, courier packages, etc.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
The minimum qualifications necessary for acceptable (satisfactory) job performance are:
Level of Formal Education
High school completion.
- No experience required as "on-the-job" training is provided.
- An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to follow written and oral instruction.
- Manual dexterity; must be able to handle delicate glassware.
- No allergies to detergent or other cleaning solutions.
- Capable of performing the duties as assigned.
This class specification is intended to illustrate the characteristics of this classification level and should not be interpreted as a description of any one individual position within this classification level.
Questions or Comments? Contact Jindra Vancura at (204) 474-8288