Revision Date: August 2005
Classification: Administrative Assistant 3
Hay Point Range: 383 – 433
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
Positions at this level may be distinguished from those of the lower levels in that they require the application of specialized administrative skill to a University program, section, department, faculty, school, administrative unit or area.
Incumbents are expected to apply their specialized knowledge without referral, acting independently in the day-to-day administration of their assigned area. The supervision of junior clerical, services or administrative staff is a normal requirement of these positions.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Provides research, development, implementation and interpretation on policies, procedures and regulations, resolving exceptions to the rule.
- Is responsible for preparation and dissemination of all public relations material for the department, including communication and liaison with outside agencies, students, staff and the public.
- Is responsible for representing the department on University committees and providing liaison between the department program and other University departments.
- Is responsible for coordinating the work programs of the department with the needs and requirements of other University departments.
- Is responsible for supervising the work of employees within the department, including the allocation of work assignments, and on the-job training, performance management, recommending hiring, discipline and promotion.
- Is responsible for maintaining all relevant payroll, personnel, budget and costing reports of an area.
- Develops and monitors records and budgets and makes financial projections of income and expenditures.
- Collects, updates, analyzes data and statistical reports relevant to the activities of an area.
- Provides counseling and advice to students on academic programs, degree and graduate requirements, authorizing and monitoring student =s progress
- Evaluates academic program of probationary students, course overloads, course withdrawals and authorizes related documentation.
- Acts in an advisory capacity on appeals and participates in the decision-making process with regard to the disposition of appeals.
- Is responsible for advising other University areas on the most appropriate methods of procedures for matters relating to this area.
- Keeps up-to-date on University policies, procedures and requirements.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
The minimum qualifications necessary for acceptable (satisfactory) job performance are:
Level of Formal Education
- Undergraduate degree in a related discipline.
- Knowledge of University regulations, programs and procedures as they relate to the function/program.
- Three years of directly-related administrative experience.
- An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Skills and Abilities
See Administrative Assistant 1 Classification Specification.
Capable of performing the duties as assigned.
This class specification is intended to illustrate the characteristics of this classification level and should not be interpreted as a description of any one individual position within this classification level.
Questions or Comments? Contact Jindra Vancura at (204) 474-8288