Golden Rule: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."
Platinum Rule: "Treat others the way they want to be treated."
The Platinum Rule accommodates the feelings of others.
Cultural Awareness is
• Realizing that people belong to a diverse range of cultures and that they will:
• Hold different values
• Behave in different ways
• Have different ways of seeing the world and living their lives
• Having resources to relate positively to people from diverse backgrounds
• Appreciating the contribution that different groups make
Becoming Culturally Competent is Realizing
• Cultures are not right or wrong, just different
• Each culture has its own logic
• Cultures are changing
• Cultural generalizations do not explain the individual
• There may be 90% similarities between cultures, it’s the differences that cause problems
Experimental studies show that awareness of our biases together with strong internal motivations to respond without prejudice, effectively reduces prejudicial behaviour.
• A climate where all people feel valued, respected, and included across all of our differences
• A place where talented people choose to work
• Inclusion is achieved when everyone is treated with dignity and respect