1. To advise and recommend to Senate regarding the University's policy and procedures relating to the academic review of: (a) academic units, (i.e. faculties, schools, divisions and their constituent departments and academic centres and institutes); and (b) academic programs.
2. To assure that academic units/academic programs are reviewed on a regular cycle.
3. To report, at least annually, to Senate on the schedule of academic reviews and the progress of those reviews.
4. To comment or recommend, following the completion of an academic review, to the Vice-President (Academic) and Provost and/or Senate on:
(a) how well the academic unit's mission statement and its teaching, research and community service relate to the University's mission, emerging knowledge areas in related disciplines and societal needs;
(b) the progress that the academic unit has made since the previous review of the academic unit or relevant academic program; and
(c) the overall quality and plans of the academic unit for academic programs.
5. To comment from time to time to the Vice-President (Academic) and Provost and/or Senate on the overall quality and state of the academic programs of the University.
1. Provost and Vice-President (Academic) (or designate), as Chair
2. Vice-Provost (Integrated Planning and Academic Programs)
3. Vice-Provost (Graduate Education) and Dean, Faculty of Graduate Studies (or designate)
4. Two members of Senate holding the rank of Dean of a Faculty or College, Director of a School or Head of a Department*
5. Two students who are members of Senate
6. Three members of the academic staff, at least one of whom shall be a member of Senate*
* Of the committee members elected in categories 4 and 6, at least one shall be from the Bannatyne Campus.
Revised by Senate December 6, 2000
Revised by Senate November 5, 2014