University of Manitoba

U of M - The University - Office of International Relations - Student Exchanges

Student Exchanges

What is a student exchange program?

Student exchange partnerships provide opportunity for our students to participate in affordable short-term study abroad at another university.  The basic distinction of a student exchange collaboration is that students remain enrolled in the degree programs of their ‘home’ university, pay tuition fees at their home university, and study for one or two terms at their exchange ‘host’ university, where the tuition fees are then waived.  This allows students to avoid expensive international student fees as well as to continue to receive government student loans and scholarships normally applied to their Manitoba degree.  The idea is that as long as the exchange remains balanced, the participating universities continue to receive the required tuition revenue for the same number of students without any money changing hands.

Course credits earned at the student’s exchange host university are evaluated through the standard ‘Letter of Permission’ process here at the UM and credited to the student’s UM degree program.

How do I initiate a student exchange program?

Because a student exchange is based on the commitment of a reciprocal tuition waiver for students of participating universities, an institutional agreement is required. New student exchange partnerships must be supported by at least one UM faculty dean’s office.  For details on how to initiate a student exchange agreement, please see the web page section on Agreement Process & Protocol [link:]. 

What are my responsibilities to the exchange program?

Faculties may elect to administer their own exchange programs or they may choose to request that the International Centre for Students (Student Affairs) administer the student exchange on their behalf.  Student exchange partnerships that are open to multiple faculties are generally administered through the International Centre for Students.  For more details on the ICS Student Exchange Program please see their web site  or call the ICS Student Exchange Coordinator at 474-6736.

For faculties wishing to manage their own exchange, their main consideration will be how to best provide adequate supports students (both incoming and outgoing) participating in the exchange? Basic student supports for exchange include advertising and promotion, student application and selection, student advising and course credit transfers, orientation (incoming) and pre-departure orientation (outgoing), travel risk advising, communication, and program evaluation.

What funding opportunities exist to support a student exchange program?

While funding is not required in order to establish a student exchange program, it certainly helps!  For students living on a tight budget, having a source of financing to cover the costs of international travel and living expenses is a tremendous aid and motivation to study abroad. 
There are relatively few external sources of funding for student exchanges.  Here are a few

1.  International Academic Mobility Program:  Funding is provided by Human Resources & Social Development Canada (HRSDC) to support consortium student exchange programs between Canada, U.S. and Mexico and between Canada and Europe.  Proposals are received on an annual basis (usually in spring) and must be submitted through the Office of International Relations.  Funding available is $160,000 over 4 years for the North American program and $200,000 over 3 years for the European program.  Both programs require a minimum of 2 Canadian partners who share the funding received.

For additional information please visit the HRSDC International Academic Mobility web site: or contact the Office of International Relations to schedule a meeting to discuss your proposal ideas.

2.  Canadian government scholarships:  The government of Canada has provided funding for certain targeted relationships with other countries that allow Canadian students to go abroad.  These awards include the Canada-China Scholars' Exchange Program, the Commonwealth Scholarship Plan, the Foreign Government Awards Program, the Organization of American States (OAS) Fellowships Programs, and the Organization of American States (OAS) Professional Development Scholarships Program.  For more information, visit the Dept of Foreign Affairs web site

3. Graduate Student Exchange Scholarships. Establishing a student exchange program is some countries can be difficult due to the limit financial resources available to student in the partner country.  The government of Canada provides some scholarship funding for students from eligible countries to come to Canada for graduate study on an exchange (some undergraduate funding is also available.  See the Department of Foreign Affairs web site for more information

4. Foreign Government Scholarships: Several foreign governments have put in place some scholarship funding for exchange students to come and study at their institutions.  Examples of this are:

Do you know of another scholarship program not listed here?  Please let us know by sending information and the web link to

Office of International Relations
537 University Centre
University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB  R3T 2N2 Canada
Tel 204 474 6836  Fax 204 474 7648  Email